Adoption Policies & Fees
We use a Meet Your Match™ program and a variety of other guidelines when assessing a new home for the animals in our care so that we can help you meet your ideal new family member. Some general guidelines that you should be familiar with before considering a pet adoption from CAHS follow.
- You must be at least twenty-one to adopt a pet
- All members of a household must desire adding a new pet member to the family
- Pets will not be adopted to be given as gifts
- It is Michigan law that all dogs over 4 months of age be rabies vaccinated and be licensed. Therefore, if you reside in Charlevoix County you must purchase a dog license the day of the adoption.
- When adopting a puppy (6 months and under) the approved adopter may be asked to sign up for puppy classes within 30 days of adoption.
- All adopters receive a coupon for a free bag of NutroMax food and an adoption starter kit filled with training tips, coupons and various information to ease your new pets transition into your home.
Dogs for Adoption
The dogs at Charlevoix Area Humane Society are temperament tested and evaluated before being put up for adoption. We use a Meet Your Match™ program to determine the personality of our pups so that we can help you meet your ideal new family member. All of the dogs are spayed or neutered, up to date on vaccinations and implanted with an identification microchip. If you are interested in adoption please fill out our Meet Your Match™ survey and our adoption form. We will review your survey and application and contact you once it has been reviewed.
The adoption fee for all dogs, male and female, is $95.00.*
*Adoption fees and policies are subject to change at any time.
Cats for Adoption
All of our cats are spayed or neutered, wormed, up to date on shots and tested for Feline Leukemia and microchipped. If you are interested in adoption please fill out our adoption form. We will review your survey and application and contact you once it has been reviewed.
|Cat Adoption Fees||Male||Female|
|Cats (6 months and older)||$45.00||$45.00|
|Kittens (8 weeks to 6 months)||$60.00||$60.00|
Charlevoix County Humane Society has a free cat adoptions policy for senior citizens. With an approved application, seniors (over the age of 65) can come into the shelter and adopt an adult cat and have all adoption fees waived.